All students take mathematics through to Grade 12 as an essential part of their education.
The mathematics which students study at ISH embrace the concepts of number, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics and probability, which are integrated in our courses to form a meaningful body of skills and knowledge.
Grade 6 -8
The mathematics courses ranging from grades 6-8 integrate the fields of number, algebra, geometry and statistics and probability. Students are taught in class groups with a support group available for those students who require it. A support class is run twice a week for those students who require it. An emphasis is placed on problem-solving especially through the extended assignments. In the 6th grade a support class is run twice a week for students who require it. In both the 7th and 8th grade a remedial class is run for students requiring additional support.
Students undertake a two-year pre-IB mathematics course which integrates the fields of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics and probability, and instruction on the use of the graphics calculator. Courses are offered at the levels pre-Higher, pre-Standard and pre-Studies. Topics from the history of mathematics are included in the assignments. A project involving cooperative work is undertaken in grade 10. Students are taught in groups set according to ability. An emphasis is placed on problem-solving.
At IB level students have the opportunity to take Mathematics or Mathematical Studies.
Mathematical Studies: IB Standard Level
This course caters for students with varied backgrounds and abilities. More specifically, it is designed to build confidence and encourage an appreciation of mathematics in students who do not anticipate a need for mathematics in their future studies.
Mathematics: IB Standard Level
This course caters for students who already possess knowledge of basic mathematical concepts, and who are equipped with the skills needed to apply simple mathematical techniques correctly. The majority of these students will expect to need a sound mathematical background as they prepare for future studies in subjects such as chemistry, economics and psychology.
Mathematics: IB Higher Level
This course caters for students with a good background in mathematics who are competent in a range of analytical and technical skills. The majority of these students will be expecting to include mathematics as a major component of their university studies, either as a subject in its own right or within courses such as physics, engineering and technology. Others may take this subject because they have a strong interest in mathematics and enjoy meeting its challenges and engaging with its problems.
In so doing we aim to
- Develop skills in working systematically and logically.
- Develop skills of interpretation and analysis of mathematical data.
- Extend the student’s ability to communicate understanding in various mathematical ways.
- Encourage resourcefulness and initiative by the student in solving problems.
- Give the student an appreciation of order and structure in a variety of situations and so help students to appreciate the beauty and the power of mathematics.
- Make students aware of the cultural, historical and international dimensions of mathematics.
- Help the student work individually with confidence and so develop skills of patience and persistence.
- Encourage the student to work cooperatively with others.
- Develop an interest in mathematics which promotes further study.
- Maximise the student’s potential in mathematics, for instance by challenging the more-able and by encouraging the less-able through rewarding positive achievement.
The courses we offer are designed to achieve these aims so that by the end of Grade 12 students should be successful in the appropriate IB Mathematics course and so be well-equipped for their further education.