The career-related programme offers students in grades eleven and twelve an exciting opportunity to specialise in an area or career-path that they are passionate about. The career-related programme (CP) offers a unique combination of theoretical courses, specialist courses and real-world application of their learning through internships.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Approaches to learning skills and personal and professional skills are integrated into the educational programme. The CP is for students who wish to engage in career-related learning while gaining transferable and lifelong skills in applied knowledge, critical thinking, communication, and cross-cultural engagement.
21st century life places complex demands on graduates looking for work – so enabling students to become self-confident, skilled and career-ready learners must be an integral part of their education. The programme leads to further/higher education, apprenticeships or employment.
- Learning in the Career-related programme at ISH
- Components of the CP at ISH
- How can students benefit from the CP?
- ISH is fully authorised to offer the IB Career-related Programme
The CP’s three-part framework comprises the study of at least two Diploma Programme (DP) courses alongside the distinctive CP core and a career-related study.
For CP students, DP courses provide the theoretical underpinning and academic rigour of the programme; the career-related study further supports the programme’s academic strength and provide practical, real-world approaches to learning; and the CP core helps them to develop skills and competencies required for lifelong learning.
The culminating project for Career-related programme students is the Reflective Project, an in-depth body of work which allows learners to consider an ethical issue arising from their career-related studies.
It is important that students take courses that will allow them to successfully pursue their career-related pathway, which may mean meeting requirements for college or university. It is therefore essential that course selection is discussed with our college counsellors.
CP Students will have the opportunity to apply their learning in professional environments during at least two internship placements. The school will help with the organisation of internships. The experiences and exposure to their chosen field of study will ensure that CP learners will have a valuable experience that can be explored through their reflective project.
If you or your business are interested in offering internship placements for our students, please contact us.
The CP enables students to:
- follow their chosen education and career pathways in life
- combine academic subjects with their personal and professional interests and skills
- engage in learning that makes a positive difference to their community
- think critically and creatively
- communicate clearly and effectively in a variety of situations
- work independently and in collaboration with others
- consider new perspectives and other points of view
- develop greater self-confidence and self-awareness
- demonstrate high levels of resilience and flexibility
- be internationally-minded and globally aware
- apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios and situations.
The International School of Hamburg is now full authorised by the IBO to deliver the Career-related Programme in the 2019/2020 School Year.
This programme is designed for students in grades 11 and 12 who wish to engage in career-related learning while gaining transferable and lifelong skills in applied knowledge, critical thinking, communication, and cross-cultural engagement.
This is an exciting opportunity for students to engage in a rigorous study programme that genuinely interests them and to specialise in an area or career-path that they are passionate about.