The International School of Hamburg is a leading member of the Northwest European Council of International Schools (NECIS) Sports Council, a group of eleven international schools that provides opportunities for our students to meet in specified tournament activities on a competitive basis with each school working toward a common aim to achieve a well-balanced programme that promotes healthy competition, sportsmanship and full participation.
Each athlete is given the opportunity to demonstrate athletic ability while maintaining a spirit of respect and cooperation with fellow athletes from various international backgrounds.
Our ISH ‘Falcons’ teams practice twice a week (see table below) and during the soccer, volleyball, basketball seasons play weekend games as well as the main NECIS Tournament. Students are selected for these teams on the basis of attendance at practice, effort and ability. Home games require our students to host visiting students and this hospitality is reciprocated when our students travel to away games. During the main NECIS tournaments, the students are accommodated in hotels.
Other teams (swim team, track and field team, tennis team, golf team and girls’ soccer teams) work towards competing in the main NECIS Tournaments and may also play in friendly games.
Parents are expected to meet 60% of all travel costs to the away games and tournaments with ISH contributing 40%. Participating athletes are expected to follow a well-defined NECIS Code of Conduct which includes curfew times and abstention from alcohol and tobacco; and are expected to be good representatives of ISH and the NECIS organization at all times.
Age groups for team sports:
· Varsity and Junior Varsity (boys’ soccer / girls’ volleyball / basketball): no lower age limit although only in exceptional circumstances would a player below the age of fourteen years be selected to play at these levels and then only at the discretion of the Athletic Director.
No 18 year-olds may play at Junior Varsity level.
· Under 14 (boys’ soccer / girls’ volleyball / basketball) – restricted to players 13 years of age or younger on September 1st of that particular school year. In certain circumstances, a fourteen year-old 8thgrader may play at this age level at the discretion of the Athletic Director.
· Under 12 (boys’ soccer / mini-volleyball / mini-basketball / girls’ soccer) – restricted to players 11 years of age or younger on September 1st of that particular school year. In certain circumstances, a twelve year-old 6th grader may play at this age level at the discretion of the Athletic Director. One or two boys may play Under 12 Mini-Volleyball, at the discretion of the Athletic Director.
· Under 15 (Girls’ Soccer) – restricted to players 14 years of age or younger on September 1st of that particular school year.
Age groups for individual sports:
· Swimming 16+, U16, U14, U12, U10 – age taken is that on September 1st of that particular school year.
· Track and Field 16+, U16, U14, U12 – age taken is that on September 1st of that particular school year.
Other member schools which also participate in the NECIS tournaments home and away include:
- The International School of Amsterdam (ISA)
- The American School of The Hague (ASH)
- The American International School of Rotterdam (AISR)
- The Antwerp International School (AIS)
- The International School of Luxembourg (ISL)
- The International School of Düsseldorf (ISD)
- The Copenhagen International School (CIS)
- The International School of Stavanger (ISS)
- Sigtunaskolan Humanistiska Läroverket (SSHL)
- Bonn International School (BIS)