Practice to Please the neighbors !
As a tenant you have the right to play an instrument in your dwelling, even if you live in a multiple dwelling. I’ve listed a website below, but here are the basic guidelines in Hamburg.
- don’t play before 8:00, between 13:00 and 15:00, or after 22:00
- for loud instruments (sax or trumpet): don’t play longer than 1–2 hours per day nor after 20:00
- on Sunday you can practice for an hour
- Instruments should be played at “Zimmerlautstärke = room noise level.” The courts have problems defining this. Probably anything that is louder than 40 db in your neighbor’s apartment is considered too loud.
- any clause in the apartment lease that forbids playing an instrument is void.
- try to find the room in your apartment that has the least reverberation (carpets and curtains help) and is the farthest from your neighbor’s apartment
- try to avoid practicing when most neighbors are home
- is there an area in the basement that you can pad up and practice in?